The Promise Scotland are currently recruiting a Finance and Central Services Manager.
To apply for this role, please download the attached application form below. Once complete, please return to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job role as the subject.
Candidates with lived experience of care or candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria outlined will be invited to interview, and secondments to this role will be considered.
For more information about this role, please contact email@example.com with the job role as the subject.
About this position
Hours: 35 hours per week
Reports to: Head of Governance and Operations
Salary: c. £41,000
Location: Edinburgh. Flexible arrangements, including some home working.
Application Deadline: 17:00, Monday 20 March 2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 27 March 2023
The Promise Scotland is a non-statutory company responsible for driving the work of change demanded by the conclusions of the Independent Care Review.
It works with all kinds of organisations to support shifts in policy, practice, and culture so Scotland can #KeepThePromise it made to care experienced infants, children, young people, adults, and their families - that every child grows up loved, safe and respected, able to realise their full potential.
The Promise Scotland’s sole reason for being is to facilitate and support change, wherever that change needs to happen to make sure that Scotland will #KeepThePromise.
More information can be found in the below resources:
The role sits within the Governance and Operations team, which has responsibility for ensuring The Promise Scotland is a well-run, effective and efficient organisation.
- Leading the financial management of the company.
- Working as an effective business partner with colleagues across the organisation to ensure finance and central services functions are embedded and working efficiently.
- Leading organisational planning to secure the sustainable running of the organisation for the duration of The Promise Scotland’s lifetime (to 2030).
- Supporting the Board of Directors, including full Directors’ meetings and committee meetings.
- Providing leadership and support on all areas of legal compliance, including company law, data protection, health and safety and Freedom of Information.
- Ensuring The Promise Scotland’s staff recruitment and development policies and procedures reflect best-practice and are appropriately implemented.
- Coordinating the independent secretariat function for the Promise Oversight Board.
- Supporting the day-to-day business needs of the team.
The Promise Scotland is looking for a highly motivated person to consolidate the finance and central services functions and further develop excellent organisational processes.
The Finance and Central Services Manager works alongside colleagues across the organisation to deliver services and provide advice and support on all aspects of finance, risk, HR and business planning.
The Finance and Central Services Manager will lead the day-to-day work to deliver excellent cross-organisational services and contribute to organisational strategy and resourcing.
The Manager will:
- Produce accurate and timely financial reports and analysis that support Directors and colleagues to make sound business decisions, as well as ensuring on-time reporting to the company’s funders.
- Work with team Heads to provide financial analysis to support their planning and decision-making.
- Develop, refine and monitor financial budgets and drive performance, in conjunction with the Management Accountant, who works on a consultancy basis, to maximise the impact of the company in partnership with the Finance and Audit & Risk Committees.
- Lead on regulatory requirements in relation to year-end financial responsibilities and audit.
- Work closely with the Head of Governance and Operations and the CEO to define the path for sustainability and development of the organisation to 2030, ensuring consideration of financial evidence and analysis.
- Lead on regulatory requirements including Companies House, freedom of Information, data protection and health and safety.
- Lead on organisational risk management and mitigation processes.
- Lead on contract negotiation and management with main suppliers and facilities management.
- Work closely with colleagues across The Promise Scotland team to support on-going planning and delivery of the overall programme of work.
- Work with the Senior Finance and Administration Officer and external HR consultant to embed excellent HR practices and policies.
- Be responsible for the line management and development of the Senior Finance and Administration Officer, in line with The Promise Scotland’s people management values, culture, and procedures, and contribute as a manager in The Promise Scotland team.
- Experience of working in a similar role focused on financial management and excellent services.
- High-level budgeting and financial reporting skills.
- Financially astute, articulate and technically strong with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- An interest in applying digital technology to provide solutions to public sector challenges.
- Analytical thinking, independent judgment, and discretion in handling personnel issues.
- Excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills, including a track-record of writing clear, accessible reports to senior colleagues and Board members and exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability to work under pressure, make decisions and to solve problems. Able to deal with conflicting and challenging demands, identify solutions and prioritise work whilst ensuring that a high-quality service is provided and that deadlines are met.
- Experience of business partnering, working collaboratively, building, and nurturing strong relationships across different teams and managing relationships with a range of internal and external interests to ensure delivery of key priorities.
- Strong knowledge of administrative software packages.
- Qualified accountant, member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification.
- Experience with compliance including but not limited to Companies House, data protection, freedom of information and health and safety.
- Experience of working with Xero accountancy software.
- Lived experience of care and/or deep, demonstrable understanding of the principles established by the Care Review.
The Promise Scotland is based in Charlotte House, in Central Edinburgh. Flexible working arrangements will be considered for this role, as long as the key business needs are met. The Promise Scotland strives for a positive and supportive team culture and environment.